Just like riding a bike

Azada Verde
Mozambique (Toronga)

A simple action such as riding a bike can help rural families with limited resources in Mozambique to irrigate their family plots. These mechanisms have been dubbed Bici-bombas (‘bike pumps’) by the NGO Azada Verde.

In Mozambique, as in other sub-Saharan African countries, it only rains three months a year, as long as there are no prolonged floods or droughts as a result of climate change. During these three months, they practice subsistence farming in which they produce corn, a food that should last 12 months of the year. Bike pumps are installed during the dry season, so that they can continue to practice agriculture during the eight months when it is not raining. Thanks to these low-cost irrigation systems, families can have a more varied diet, reduce their food insecurity, earn income and improve the quality of their daily lives. In the agricultural plots they plant vegetables, of which 30 per cent goes to his personal consumption and the remaining 70 per cent is sold in local markets.

The project was born in May 2018 with the installation of the first three Bici-bombas in the town of Toronga, Sofala province. To date, 25 Bike Bombs have been built and installed in 25 farming families (150 beneficiaries) in two different districts (Buzi and Chibabava) in Sofala Province.

They are built locally with 70 per cent recycled materials. The materials are bought in the city of Beira (capital of the province) and then sent to two workshops in rural communities, where technicians build and then install them. The project is financed through microcredits to the beneficiaries, who also receive technical support for both agricultural techniques and maintenance. AzadaVerde’s goal is to install 50 new bike-pumps each year.

Submitted by

Hugo Coll Dalmau

Written by

Òscar Marín (17 June 2020)

    Project leader

    Hugo Coll Dalmau, founder

    Support the Atlas

    We want the Atlas of the Future media platform and our event to be available to everybody, everywhere for free – always. Fancy helping us spread stories of hope and optimism to create a better tomorrow? For those able, we'd be grateful for any donation.

    Creative Commons License



    Take me somewhere
    Take me somewhere
    Data Protection Act: LOPD.
    In compliance with Organic Law 15/1999, of 13 of December, on Personal Data Protection, and the development of Rules of Procedure, approved by Royal Decree 1720/2007, of 21 of December, Atlas of the Future subscribers may be required to provide Personal Data, which will be included in a file owned by Democratising The Future Society SL. Such file is duly incorporated in the Spanish Data Protection Agency and protected in compliance with the security measures established in the applicable legislation.Subscribers may exercise, at any time, their rights of access, rectification, cancellation and/or opposition regarding their Personal Data. The subscriber shall notice their will, either under written form addressed to Democratising The Future Society SL, Ref. LOPD, Calabria, 10 6-3 08015 - Barcelona (Spain) and/or by e-mail, clicking here. Also, the subscriber shall communicate Atlas of the Future any modifications of their Personal Data stored, so that the information stored by Atlas of the Future remains at all times updated and error-free.
    Sign up for our weekly newsletter